View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 02:50pm
Administrator

Just my two cents, and I apologize for the long post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I'm sort of confused.

They are going to have the students work ASA championship play, but don't ask about ASA registration.

I also find it confusing. According to the ASA Tournament Website, the tournament is an ASA/USA Gold National Qualifier for Class "A" 18U. The tournament information states that the tournament will start on Thursday, July 07th if enough teams enter otherwise it will start on Friday, July 08th. Four teams will qualify for the National.

The camp website states that the camp will start with a pre-tournament on Thursday, July 07th, at 06:00pmCDT where the 3-umpire system of umpiring will be presented.

I share your concerns about ASA Registration, because here in Ohio, umpires are required to have passed the ASA Background Check that is required of ASA Umpires for ASA Nationals if they want to umpire the various tournaments around the state during the Summer. But even more surprising is that the camp uniform will be: gray pants, powder blue shirt, and navy blue hat and ball bags. BUT!! The shirt, hat, ball bags shall have no ASA logos. I canNOT see ASA Chicago Metro allowing non-ASA umpires to umpire period, nor allow the wearing of non-branded shirts, hats, and ball bags for an ASA National Qualifier; it just won't happen. When Mark, Jr., was in Chattanooga for the ASA/USA Class "A" 16U National last Summer the umpires wore gray flat panel w/Western cut pocket pants. But in here in Ohio any tournament that is an ASA National Qualifier, the uniform is powder blue shirts, and navy blue pants, hats, and ball bags, and everything is ASA branded.

And since the umpires are responsible for their own housing, if I were an ASA umpire and it was an ASA National Qualifier, I had better be paid for every game I umpire or pay for my room.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio