View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodros_nemesis View Post
During the first year, I overheard a lot of coaches saying, "Do it until you get called, then stop. If they don't call it, don't stop." Bugs me when the coach essentially tells his players to cheat unless they get caught.
I think you're being hopelessly naïve. Referees call the game differently. Some referees call certain things fouls, and others don't. Players who self police are putting themselves at a disadvantage -- and many young players over self police because they are worried about getting fouls.

Smart players (1) will do whatever today's referee permits and (2) will adjust to what today's referee does not. Those who do not do the first get pushed around, and those who do not do the second collect a lot of fouls.

Way back when in my high school days, my league apparently had different referee pools for San Francisco and for down the peninsula to San Jose. The SF referees were more "let them play" and the San Jose group called a lot more touch fouls. If I played in SF the way I had to play in SJ, I'd completely get my butt kicked. The game is about adjusting -- which is what, as a coach, I constantly taught: stop complaining about the call that has been made (or not made) all game -- adapt to the referee and do what is permitted today and don't do what isn't.