View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 09, 2015, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Interesting.

The concern would be then on threes from the L's primary that you end up with four eyes on the ball in flight and none on rebounding action.

Just another thing to go over in pregame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As Lead, I see little reason to track the flight of the ball.

As Lead, I give the 3-point attempt signal, and take care of the shooter. You will see the ball go through the hoop with your peripheral vision, (and the players next actions will be a huge clue as to whether the shot was successful). Once that a jumpshooter is back down on the floor, and not in peril of late contact from a defender, one's primary focus can shift to the rebounding and other actions, and the shooter and his/her defender become the peripheral.
Some officials, having squared up to the floor to cover the 3-point attempt, will then rotate slightly towards the basket while continuing to "protect the shooter."
Getting "deep" off the endline, and as wide on the endline as the shooter/defender match-up, can be very helpful in expanding one's field of vision, and maximizing the peripheral area to include the players further away from a primary match-up/shot attempt, and then, the shooter/defender match-up, as the main focus becomes the subsequent rebounding action.

Less experienced officials tend to focus on a player, or a match-up, to the degree of not utilizing their peripheral vision/info. A more experienced official is able to relax and be aware of a larger area, including the missed/made shot attempt, while not losing his/her primary responsibility.