View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 30, 2003, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Patrick Szalapski

SITUATION: Working the bases in C, R3 and R1, catcher attempts a pickoff at third right after a pitch. Throw is a little high and wide, and the runner slides feet first as the fielder swipes the tag.

I pause, read, react. I have no clue. The throw beat him, but did the tag get on him? I needed to see through the runner's body, which I can't do yet.

I call him out. Dugout behind the play goes nuts.

Speaking to my partner after a inning or two, he said that he had a tag as well.

I should have pointed to him and asked, "Tom, do you have a tag?"

Patrick the call is YOURS Period. You are in C and the first play at third is YOURS. In "C" you are probably no more than 15-20 ft. from the play. The PU is still at home plate some 90 ft. away.

If you start pointing to home on this type of play get ready for a LOOONG Game.

My only advice on changing calls is to try it and see what happens. I "committed the Cardinal Sin myself" this past weekend in a collegiate wood bat game and I know better.

There was a line drive to right field and my partner in "A" didn't go out so the call was mine. I as you had no ACTUAL clue if the ball was caught or not so I said vehemently, "NO CATCH Ball on the GROUND" to try and SELL it.

Well as soon as I said that I heard moans from the defense, so I unfortunately checked with my partner who indeed had a catch and I changed the call. In retrospect I should have stayed with the original call and had a talk with my partner AFTER the game as to why he didn't go out on a shoe string catch to begin with but that's another story.

Now you know what happens next, the coach whom the call went against was livid especially since I said I saw the ball on the ground and eventually I had to "dump him" and all because I changed a call that I shouldn't have.

I can go on and on but at least from my experience even if you get the call RIGHT you are WRONG if you catch my drift.
One side will be happy and the other upset - That's baseball.

The MOST important thing is to have a good pre-game with your partner and get into position.

Pete Booth