View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Chuckster: I applaud you for applying your time, effort, and energy towards helping to promote fair play and competitiveness in interscholastic athletics. I recall when I first started reffing--I was doing it like a hoops player because that is what I had been. Now, you are a bona fide Referee. It is normal to veel overwhelmed in your initial foray into live games. The forum posters here have offered you fine advice and encouragement--and indeed all of their suggestions ought be duly considered for implementation by you. I for one would advise that after your next game, simply go ask the coach or athletic director for a video of your game. Or maybe have an associate vid your game. Scrutinize yourself, laugh at yourself, and see where you can make improvements.
Videotape tells a whole different story than you might think and what other folks are saying about you. First time I saw myself on vid tape calling a game, I was like "wtf$@%& was I doing out there? why was I looking so goofy reporting a foul/violation? why was I walking away from the area where I called the foul on--and then kept on looking backwards as I was walking to make out the jersey number of said fouler? I was bumping into other players doing this action and looking all goofy; then another time I saw myself all goofy.
So, buddy, welcome to the Officiating Industry--and I wish you much success.
Oh yea...if he was discouraged just thinking about his first time on the floor a video of his effort should pick him right up.

Watching yourself is an excellent tool...real hard to argue you aren't doing something as you watch yourself doing it.