View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 08, 2015, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Passed the written exam easily, but I knew actually being on the floor would be much harder. . .and it was even harder than I imagined!

Girls JV scrimmage, 2 cadets on the floor, with 2 experienced officials shadowing us. We had 4-minute shifts.

It was all such a blur! Way faster than I thought, and I was so concerned with where I was supposed to be, and what my PCA was, that I missed a lot of calls. I lost track of which team was going in which direction. Girls did not have uniform numbers, so reporting fouls was different than what I had practiced. Coach yelled for a time-out, I knew who had player control, but not who yelled. One time I hit a girl in the head with my signal - it was ugly!! I could go on but you get the idea. I was very discouraged last night.

I have several more of these practice scrimmages coming up - any tips? I know with more floor time and experience it will get better, but right now I am very overwhelmed!
If it was easy anyone could do it.

A few years from now you will still be missing calls...hopefully not that many.

Last game I called the ball bounced off a shoulder and was coming right at me. I sidestep and (for some reason) started to raise both arms in an effort to get out of the way. Girl going OOB trying to save it hit my elbow and went down like a rock. Luckily she was able to shake it off and keep going. It happens.