View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 06, 2015, 11:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I don't "live for college ball" and I hate that folks characterize good officials who strive to work a certain level with that negative connotation. I also do not live to be at the beck and call of any of my supervisors, and luckily I no longer have any supervisors who think an official should always be available no matter what. I work to be the best official I can be, and the benefits have been being hired by multiple supervisors to work college ball as well as having 2 HS supervisors who like having me work games for them.

Here assignors do not want officials volunteering names for replacement, some even get upset about it. Turn your game back as soon as you realize you need to do so, and the assignor will find the replacement.

Also, every supervisor I work for, 6 college/2 HS, allows officials to turn back games for higher level games without penalty or repercussion (college over HS; D3 and up over JuCo; D2 and up over D3; D1 over D2). They realize their better officials are the guys who are trying to move up and they have enough officials to fill slots. Also, 7 of my 8 supervisors work or have worked college ball in their careers and fully understand the concept of moving up, as they did it themselves. They only get upset when officials fail to close out their dates and then turn back games because "I forgot I had a previous commitment". That will cost officials games, and understandably so.
Don't get me wrong - I never hold back someone who wants to work at the next level. Unfortunately some think the "next level" includes a boys game over a girls game or a bigger HS conference than the one I assign.

All I'm saying is that if an official turns back 75% of his assignments because he's getting that many college dates, it becomes too much work for me, then. I can still use the person to pick up last minute stuff and changes on open nights, but I just won't put them on the schedule.

And here I want names of subs given to me -- although I reserve the right to use that sub or not. If I don't, then I'm on the hook to find a replacement.