View Single Post
Old Sat Dec 05, 2015, 11:02am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
True, but entering the lane on the release has been part of the college game for a pretty long time. We're only in year two of this rule in NFHS, since its reinstatement, and we're not even talking about knocking the shooter, but merely crossing the FT line. Some coaches are teaching kids to box out the shooter, not knowing crossing the free throw line before the hit "cuts both ways."

Last night, my partner and I had this violation on a defender four times in our two games. The visiting coach (who had both games) didn't understand what we were ruling until I spoke with him at halftime of game two.

But, this is about the signaling. To me, it seems silly to get a hand up immediately, then out if there's a violation. The time frame is too small to do both. Now, it makes more sense to keep the hand down for a second, and raise it immediately on the hit, essentially declaring there is no violation, and start the clock on the chop. Or, signal the delayed violation, if there is one.
I don't see how you are getting that many violations without any being fouls.

I'm going to continue to raise my hand on the release because the only violations I ever get are for the shooter, which get an immediate whistle. On that rare occasion that I may ever get a defender violating the free throw line, it'll be accompanied by a balled fist, not a delayed violation signal.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Dec 05, 2015 at 12:02pm.