View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 04, 2015, 09:26pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Ever since NFHS allowed the players to enter the lane on a free throw's release, I found a new challenge when being the T for 2 man, or C for 3 man. Now, we have to be more conscious about a defender crossing the free-throw line before the ball hits the rim or backboard (delayed violation). This new kink throws me off a bit.

My question has to do with T/C signaling on the last or 1-and-1 free throw. I used to get my hand up immediately on the release. Now, I'm thinking about keeping the hand down until the ball hits the rim/backboard, and raise it immediately if there's no such violation (and chop in on the first touch), or extend the fist outward if there is a violation. In other words, don't signal anything until you know whether there's a violation first.

Thoughts?
I can observe players and hold my hand up at the same time, and so can you. Every captain's meeting I have with HS players I tell them that knocking the shooter off the free throw is not blocking out and a foul will be called.

College ball has been playing off the release for years (before I started officiating) and I never see college players knocking free throw shooters off the line.

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Dec 05, 2015 at 10:55am.