View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 04, 2015, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Freshman boys scrimmage.

No. 1. We are in front court, Partner is trail, pass into the post hits the post player A1 on lower leg and bounces away, still on the court. B1 picks up the loose ball. Partner *Tweet* "Kicked ball" A1.

I come to him and said I had a good look at it, it wasn't intentional, in fact the leg wasn't moving, (but the post player was set up pretty wide legged.). He said it's a violation, I said no, it's not.

We gave the ball back to A for a throw in on the endline. Correctly administered?

No. 2. Partner is administering throw in sideline on front court side of division line. A1 releases the throw in, it bounces in front court and is caught in the back court by A2. Partner whistles a back court violation. He tells the coaches the ball can't first touch in the front court. I'm 99% sure he has it wrong, but I let it go. Ideas on what I should have done?
I wouldn't have bothered. 99% usually means 20% and kick balls are difficult for new guys who go *well I saw it hit the foot and have no clue if it was intentional* WHISTLE

If you really think the guy doesn't know the rule there is no reason to be a jerk about it. Just say, hey, this is what I saw and this is what I understand from the rule. Newer guys will learn from discussing a certain play. They will retain about 1% of this is wrong, that is wrong, don't do this, do that, etc.

With newer officials I'm just happy they remember to get a whistle and a strong arm up. If these are the only two wrong calls then I've giving the guy props for a job well done. I supposed it depends on the association, but calling violations on a play right in front of another official screams noobie.