View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 03, 2015, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Getting new blood is one thing, retaining good/experienced officials is another. I worked up to & including state playoff games (totaling approximately 60 games a year) in one state but upon moving to another state only received a handful of quality varsity games. I understand it takes time to work your way up but I came in with the highest grade possible, received a perfect score on my test for the new state, worked the first year including Jr. High, JV as well as varsity games & received positive feedback from the one game an evaluator was present. At the end of the season I was told by two assignors that I would need to attend their camps if I wanted to get better/more games from them. Really, pay upwards of $250 so I can get games in your conferences while they pocket the $$$ from the camps I’m doing games in. After 24 years that was more than I could tolerate. Now I pay my $5, sit in the stands & enjoy the games while those poor zebras, that paid good coin to attend the “good old boys” camps, struggle on the floor. Sorry, until the state associations step in & provide some modicum of sanity, good officials are going to walk away. I love the game; I played it, coached it & officiated it; now I just watch it.