View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 02, 2015, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
CC -

Regarding your first point....You are absolutely right but those type of officials quite frankly are the ones that are here for a part time job and don't put any effort into this craft. I have seen it with a lot of the local boards in my area...they feel entitled to games and don't go to a camp or any clinics outside the mandatory state and local meetings...but they are the first group of guys to complain about their type of assignment.....

Georgia Tech played Wofford last night and isn't competing in the Big 10 / ACC Challenge....do you think those guys complained because they didn't get an assignment for the UNC / MD game.

Most assignors know more than those "whiners"....let their type leave.
MS - Not arguing with you at all, and I agree.....if the supply and throughput of new officials in your area is adequate. But I think one of the reasons this post was started in the first place is because there are some places suffering from a very real supply/demand mismatch between officials and # of games.

Because of this I think recruiting is and should remain the priority. That allows us to account for some attrition and promote long-term stability. But we can't forget about the retention aspect, and when recruiting is suffering, sometimes you have to regrettably allow the effortless part-timers to remain on the floor. If so, I'm pointing out that we should manage their expectations by being as transparent and honest as possible. If the baby is ugly, say so.