View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 29, 2015, 09:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
Ok, glad someone caught my tongue in cheekness. But seriously, I don't guess. I call what I see as I see it and process it in my head. I might be wrong bc I saw it incorrectly but I don't guess. That can get you in a world of hurt.

I believe the statement "in two person, you have to guess a lot" is just an excuse to try to validate 3 man. I'd love to work more three but that doesn't mean that a two man game can't be called well by those officials.

I wish I had a cool signature
Oh, I called 2-man for over 25 years. You do have to make an *educated* guess from time to time. Player trips going around the corner and neither official sees it as well as you'd like, you can either put air in the whistle for a foul that you *know* happened but maybe didn't see as you liked *or* you can put air in the whistle for the technical foul that will come otherwise.

2-person was easier back in the 80s. The game just wasn't as fast and physical then. Back then 4 officials were used in HS varsity football games and now no such game would be worked with 4 officials. Basketball will get to the point (and is in many areas) where no varsity game will be called with 2. Has just taken longer than I'd like.

But for me, I'm 100% 3-person as of this season. Around here I can pick and choose what I work and I just don't work conferences that still hire 2 officials.