View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 27, 2015, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refhoop View Post
Last week I had/saw for-the-first-time as a player, coach or official:
A1 is in-bounding after a made basket, she dribbles a couple of times, picks up the ball and throws directly in bounds to a teammate.
In my mind: "Crap, I think that's ok, I'm not blowing the whistle... I hope no one else saw that... stay focused!"
Opposing coach is up mildly objecting: "she can't do that". I say to objecting coach: why not? His response was predictable: "She just can't"
Next dead ball: crew comes together and we all say, "never saw that before" and I tell them, I've never seen a rule prohibiting the act - so I let it go!
R tells coach: we'll check the book at half time - he's wining big, so its all good.
Low and behold: Case book: 9.2.2 situation D,
1. Any of you ever have this and get it wrong?
2. Same on collegiate level (curious)?
3. Can a player "double dribble" while OB?
4. If it hits the official, rebounds back to thrower... do we have nothing, except the shock of getting hit?
And, case book doesn't specify spot-throw in or after made basket.
1. Yes...No
2. Yes
3. The limits on what a player can/cannot do with the ball during a throw-in are pretty well laid out in Rules 7 and 9 (and 10 if they really tried something dumb)
4. It would depend on where the official is standing and whether it's a spot throw-in. The latter is probably more important because that would determine whether the thrower could legally retrieve the ball
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)