View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 25, 2015, 08:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post
Well, as it turns out, trying to discuss the merits of the rule turns into accusations of trying to make excuses for unsporting acts haha.

Well, let's see:

Quote:
Ideally, yes. But people aren't robots.

__________________________________________________ _____________

You wish they could keep a player in the game after his unsporting act leads directly to a fight. You have clearly stated that's what you want:

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the way this rule is written either. If A1 pushes B1, A1's fate rests in how B1 reacts....Not a huge fan of that.

The way the rule is written, A2 verbally insulting B2 which results in B2 punching A2 in the face means they both get tossed. Just doesn't feel like the punishment fits the crime.
Quote:
It is pretty simple. And maybe that is why it is written the way it is written. The wording makes it pretty black and white. I don't agree with it.

The point I was making is that if the comments are so over the top as you stated, that person is being tossed regardless of the other player's reaction. If the comments aren't vulgar or abusive, that person's ability to stay in the game rests upon his opponent's reaction. Again, we'll just have to agree to disagree on whether that is a proper punishment.

I refuse to be the person who blindly accepts something without either understanding it or questioning it. The rules should be enforced as they are written, but that shouldn't ever deter someone from trying to discuss the validity or reason for a rule.
I don't feel sorry for players who are knuckleheads. Almost every fight in basketball is the result of one player committing an unsporting, flagrant, or intentional act directed towards another player. Players taunt opponents in order to induce a negative reaction. If that negative reaction is violent shove, a punch, or a kick, then too bad for the player who taunted, his butt is gone also.

Why any official wishes to keep such a player in the game is beyond comprehension.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Nov 25, 2015 at 08:30am.