View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 24, 2015, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't heard anything like that kind of blanket edict here in the central district. Maybe it was 'if you have a choice, better under than over' or something, but it's so situation-dependent there can't be one simplistic rule of thumb. In 2 clinics and a few meetings so far, there's hasn't been any such advice. I have heard "don't go above and so far into the court that you risk getting caught up in fast break traffic", but nothing like go under at all times. And the parallel for L is about when standing, not keeping them parallel while rotating.

And no, I don't think they are 'stupid' mechanics at all. Basketball is just straight NFHS book mechanics (with the exception of no long switches in the backcourt). And of course you have to follow them to get playoff assignments - imagine that, following instructions and doing things the right way - as defined by those making the assignments - in order to get assignments.

As to football, ok, I get some don't like the specificity of the football mechanic manual, but I like having a set of common, standard operating procedures that I know everyone has been trained on and evaluated on. I like having the basics covered and a single set of procedures and protocols so I don't have to worry about those when filling in or working with a new person, no matter if they're from this district or not. Just like when I was in the Army and we always carried ammo in the same place, filled our rucks the same way, stowed tools and other items on each vehicle the same way, it's not about being robotic or rigid, it's about having a base of uniformity so that everyone is starting from the same base and on a common page. Of course it's not the only way or even the 'best' way - whatever that is. But it works quite well and most certainly isn't *stupid*.

Last edited by scrounge; Tue Nov 24, 2015 at 09:32pm.