View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 22, 2015, 11:45am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I have false for the 2nd one.

The jump circle "spaces" don't have a width. Players within 3 feet of the circle can be at any interval they wish as long as one is not behind the other.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I was ready to dispute this, but found that Camron Rust is correct. I cannot find any NFHS reference, in either the rulebook, or the casebook, stating that the spaces around the jump ball circle are three feet wide.

The only reference that I could find regarding the width of these spaces is in the IAABO mechanics manual, in diagram form, in the diagram labeled Court As The Official Views It.

I'm pretty good in regard to basketball rules, so why was I so quick to dispute Camron Rust? Has this rule changed over the past thirty-five years, or have I (and Nevadaref, a rules guru if there ever was one) been the victim of another basketball rule myth?

just another ref: What was the answer on the answer sheet, and did it include a reference, or a citation?

Want to chime in on this Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.?

There has never (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley), as far I back as my rules books go, a dimension stated in the rules. What one will find is references to unmarked Lane Spaces along the FT Lane (Yes, young ones, in The Ancient Days some of the FT Lane Spaces were unmarked) and FT Circle.

I do not remember at any time Spaces around the Center Circle and the FT Circles (note: Jump Balls for Held Balls during The Ancient Days) dimensions given for these spaces.

Camron is correct, and I am sure Nevada or Jeff or Tony will confirm.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio