View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 18, 2015, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
Out of curiosity, how strictly do you guys adhere to the coach can't leave the box to sit on the bench?

Would you rule that the coach has terminated the right to use the box in any of the following scenarios:

The coach goes to the end of the bench (not within the box) and sits down to speak briefly with an injured player that is receiving medical treatment/attention. The coach returns to the box after assessing the players injury and ability to return to the game.

The coach leaves the box to retrieve a dry-erase marker, pen or some other item that he/she dropped (don't read this as threw in anger, because throwing stuff like a child should result in a TF and the box is gone anyway) or to retrieve some other item (jacket, clipboard, roster, etc) that is not within the coaching box.

No portion of the bench area overlaps the area designated for the coaching box. The coach goes to the bench and sits down for a brief period to rest, get a drink or speak with a player and remains on the bench for (a) while 2 FTs are attempted by either team (b) during an entire possession on either end of the court (c) for multiple possessions (d) during a timeout or between periods or (e) the duration of an entire period.

I ask because I've never seen any official treat the coaching box like it is a magical island that once it is left it can't be found again, but the rule book seemingly wants it to be treated that way. On another note, I've seen the coaching box marked as an entirely solid area contrasting in color with the sideline. Would anyone object to such a method of marking the coaching box?

I would not have a T for a single one of your scenarios. That would be like breaking into jail. Common sense.

Generally if the coach steps out of his box from time to time while actively coaching his players, I don't have a huge problem with it as long as A) he's not obstructing the table's vision, B) he stays out of the way of players and officials, and C) is not acting like a jackass. If he does any of these things (except maybe (C)), a polite request for cooperation is usually all it takes to make the problem go away. If it persists, perhaps a warning or a technical would be in order.

One note about exercising this kind of discretion. If the other coach is staying completely in his box and behaving like a saint, it's probably best to deal with the first coach sooner rather than later, because if you later have to deal with the saintly coach, the first thing he will say is, "Well you've let him work out of his box the entire game! So why are you hassling me?" And he would have a valid point.

Game awareness. Preventative officiating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk