View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 16, 2015, 05:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Scrimnmages ...

We never got paid for scrimmages until a few years ago.

Before that we volunteered (we were not assigned) so we could pick and chose the scrimmages that we wanted to work, for example, schools close to home, or work, or coaches we knew from outside officiating. Occasionally we would get a twenty dollar bill, or a T-shirt, or a grinder, or a slice of pizza. Some guys didn't like working for free, so those of us that wanted to get in some practice before the season were able to get as many scrimmages as we wanted to work. One year I worked eight scrimmages. I liked working for free. I got a lot of scrimmages, never had to travel very far, and our local board earned lot of good will from principals, athletic directors, and coaches.

For some reason, basketball had no problem getting scrimmage officials throughout the state, but other sports like field hockey, lacrosse, and soccer had problems getting enough interested officials. So our state high school interscholastic sports governing body decided that all officials, for all sports, would get paid for scrimmages, and that scrimmages would be assigned as any other game assignment. For basketball, three officials are assigned, and rotate in as a two person crew (almost all of our games are two person games), and get paid $50.00 each, for covering six periods (maximum two hours).

Now everybody gets assigned scrimmages, and there aren't a lot of them to go around. One year I only got one scrimmage assignment, and had to travel halfway across the state, certainly not enough court time to get ready for my high school varsity schedule.

Bottom line, I preferred volunteering for free scrimmages.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 16, 2015 at 05:24pm.