View Single Post
Old Sat Nov 14, 2015, 10:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
... compression shorts. So I'm sticking with the above the knee classification.
3-5-3-A: Anything worn on the arm and/or leg is a sleeve ... and shall meet the color restrictions.

Compression shorts are worn on the leg. They are not braces. Are they sleeves?

Quote:
I still don't see any reason to alter the definition of compression shorts.
3-5-7: Compression shorts shall be a single solid color similar to the predominate color of the uniform ...

Still waiting for a definition of uniform?

It doesn't say pants anymore, nor does it say jersey.

Quote:
The old NFHS definition of compression shorts was that they could not extend below the knee. If they did, then they were classified as tights, which used to be illegal.
According to the old NFHS definition, tights could also be above the knee, and, as such, legal, if the same color as the pants (shorts).

Old 3-5-7: Compression shorts/tights shall be a single solid color similar to
the predominant color of the pants/skirt; the length shall be above the knee.
Undergarments shall not extend below the pants/skirt.

Tights, above the knee, and the same color as the shorts (old rule), were never considered to be illegal.

Quote:
I still don't see any reason to alter the definition of compression shorts.
In my opinion, the NFHS should remove all reference to compression shorts in the basketball rulebook.

The term tights, with the existing color restrictions, should cover everything (accept knee braces, shoes, and socks) worn on the leg. Tights that extend from the waist to the feet. Tights that extend from the waist to the knee. Tights that extend from the knee to the feet. Tights that are worn on the knee ... shall be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the jersey, and the same color for each item, and all participants.

Perhaps the terms tights, and sleeves, in regard to the leg, should be interchangeable.

In any case, General Motors doesn't ask my advice about automobiles, even though I drive a Chevrolet, so why should the NFHS listen to my advice about basketball rules because I officiate basketball?

The NFHS did listen to my suggested change in the definition of goaltending (return outside of the cylinder to the definition), this past year, but that was minor compared to a "Fashion Police" issue such as this.

I understand that the NFHS, as the guardian of the game, wants to control what the players wear while playing basketball, we don't need a bunch of players dressed like clowns in the game, but these "Fashion" rules should be simple, and easy to enforce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Same lack of uniformity policy as for shoes and socks.
Bite your tongue.

Don't even think, or joke, about it.

Shoes can't have flashing lights on them.

Enough said.

End of story.

Period.

3.5 SITUATION C: May a team member wear: (a) shoes which have a light
mechanism or have lights which are activated by heel contact with the floor; or
(b) gloves? RULING: No, in both (a) and (b). In (a), the shoes may be worn if the
lights are deactivated. In (b), gloves are not needed to play the game and are not
considered to be appropriate.

Regarding upper leg equipment. I'm going to interpret on the side of player participating with any color upper leg equipment if I can find any rule that would seem to allow it.

With no NFHS definition of uniform, I will allow upper leg equipment to be the same color as the jersey, or the shorts, with no restrictions on same color for each item, and all participants, treating them like compression shorts.

Or, if it allows the player to participate, I will treat the upper leg equipment like sleeves/tights, the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the jersey, and the same color for each item, and all participants.

I'm not ignoring the issue, but I'm not taking a written test. These are real life, game conditions; and interpretations, and decisions, that have to be made.

Silly NFHS monkeys.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it, until I change my mind, or until my mind is changed.

Comments?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)