View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
If there's truly a problem with this (and, as far as I know, there isn't and hasn't been)... the easiest solution would be to extend the height of the uprights by an additional 10 or 15 feet.
I would say first that I don't think it is that big of an issue, but I've never lost an NCAA football game by 3 or fewer points with a FG that was above the uprights impact the outcome of the game. It may have to do with never having played at the NCAA level, but that is another story.

Regarding extending the height of the uprights, there are a variety of elements that make this not necessarily the easiest solution. Engineering and cost would be the deciding factors, but schools also have to look at safety issues (can the FG posts be safely and quickly lowered at the end of an upset win over a huge rival), storage capacity (some schools remove and store the FG posts during the off-season), replacement/maintenance (how easily can the posts be replaced if damaged during a game a la Jimmy Graham), etc. Do I think it is impossible or an absurd idea, no. I'm just saying it may not be an easy fix. If I were going to recommend replay on this situation, I think the best solution would be cameras mount on top of the posts themselves. Something like a dome-style camera that hangs from the ceiling for security purposes could be affixed to the top of each post and would provide the best view. Alternatively, you could use some type of laser technology that emits a visible beam along the outer edge of each post. Neither option is perfect, but might be easier than longer posts. Just food for thought/discussion...I don't have data or definite information to support my ideas and no vested interest in being right.