View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 11, 2015, 10:00am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
MN has used a rule for several years in both JO and HS that requires the on-deck batter to use the on-deck circle behind the batter. The rationale is safety. I suppose there is some decrease in the chances of getting hit by a foul ball with this... but it is not a big deal at all for umpires.

I don't understand the rationale for the new ASA change, though.

There is not logical rationale for this rule change.

Baseball and softball at all levels (high school, college, and professional) has always (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirely, it is a basketball thing) has stated that a team's on-deck circle is on its dugout side of the field. And while there is no requirement that an on-deck batter use the on-deck circle, if the on-deck batter chooses to use it the on-deck batter must use his or her team's on-deck circle.

The reasoning for an on-deck batter to use his or her teams' on-deck circle is three-fold: i) The on-deck batter is under close supervision of his or her teams's coaches; ii) The on-deck batter is away from the opposing team's dugout thus reducing the chances of taunting by either side; and iii) The PU knows exactly where the on-deck batter is at all times.

The "safety" excuse is a non-starter. An on-deck batter can be hit by a foul ball no matter which on-deck circle is used. Coaches need to teach their players to pay attention to the game and what is happening on the diamond at all times.

I am climbing down off my soapbox now because it is basketball season, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio