View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 05, 2015, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I like the automatic break after an eight minute quarter. It gives me time to reflect on the first eight minutes, how the game is going, what I need to do differently, or better, and maybe to have a short meeting with my partner to discuss a few things.

Many prep school coaches like to save their timeouts for the second half, near the end of the game, so the first half of a prep school game is always an up, and down, affair; lead becomes trail, trail becomes lead; whistles for fouls, and violations; with no timeouts. The officials have to mentally, and physically, be "on" all the time. All of a sudden you look up at the scoreboard, to check the bonus situation, and note that there are only three minutes left in the first half, with no "time out" for a "mental break".

I prefer four quarters. Two halves wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but I would still prefer four quarters.
From the NCAAW aspect of things I'm enjoying the switch to quarters for many of the reasons Billy has laid out. It's nice to have a minute - actually 75 seconds - to reflect on what happened and address issues with my partners. Also, even though I'm young at heart my legs have been known to feel their age from time to time. A built-in rest doesn't hurt.

Having the teams fouls reset has its merits, too. The 5th foul in the 1st and 3rd quarters can arrive quickly but at least I know after ten minutes we go back to zero again.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)