View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
I tend to agree with R1027 about the clarity, but given 8-8-F, deleting 8-4-E would be even better and "be as brief as possible".
First, on the trivial - in 2003 it is 8-7F .

Second, I have no problem with the clarity of these rules. ASA does include several sections that have somewhat redundant rules (runner is out, runner is not out, runner is entitled to advance without liability, runner is entitled to advance with liability), but the redundancy tends to add clarity, rather than add confusion.

After all, the briefest rule book I know of (USFA) is the poster child of confused rules and lack of clarity.

Whatever confusion exists in the rules concerning when the runner can advance on a fly ball is entirely self-constructed, IMO. 8-4E says the runner is entitled to advance as soon as a caught fly ball is first touched. The only confusion here would be a self-made issue of "what if it is not actually caught?" Or, "what about uncaught fly balls?" Well, pause and think about that question. You are asking "when can a runner advance on a grounder?"

The restriction on tagging up only exists if the fly ball is caught. Otherwise, it is a "grounder" and the runner can advance as soon as the pitch leaves the pitcher's hand (fast pitch) or as soon as the ball reaches the plate (slow pitch).

So, if the runner takes the gamble that the fly ball will not be caught, and it isn't caught, then he "may advance with liability!" And with a good jump, too.