View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 02, 2015, 05:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What Am I Missing Here ???

We were discussing basketball rules at work today. Most of my colleagues believed that in order to travel a player must take more than three steps. I explained to them that officials don't need to count steps, they just need to keep track of the pivot foot, and understand the limits that the rules put on the movement of the pivot foot. To start a dribble, the ball must be released before the pivot foot is lifted. On a pass, or a shot, the pivot foot may be lifted, but may not return to the floor before the ball is released.

My supervisor, who is very intelligent, and logical (he's an engineer), asked me if it would be legal for a player, while ending his dribble, who is about to pass, or shoot, to lift the pivot foot, and, before putting that pivot foot back on the floor, the player would hop on the non-pivot foot several times before passing, or shooting, and then return the pivot foot to the floor.

I couldn't explain the legality, or illegality, of this situation.

What am I missing here? Help?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 02, 2015 at 05:48pm.