View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 29, 2003, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by J.Thurman
No, you misunderstood. Only 1 back moves. He is motioning out wide to make a block on a screen. But I do not want him to motion out and remain at the 5 yard depth. I want him to get closer to the line. The other back never moves before the snap. So does the one back have to shift up towards the line, stop, and then go in motion wide? Or can it be one continous motion as long as he is moving parallel at the snap?
I'm pretty sure you asking for NF ruling but I'll answer for NCAA. First, all players must come to a complete stop for 1 second prior to the snap or any motions. One player who is a back may go in motion as long as he is not moving forward at the snap. He may move forward in a way that does not simulate the start of the play or that will be a false start. At the snap he cannot be moving forward. Also during his motion he must stay in the backfield because if he is on the LOS then he will be in illegal motion since only a back can be in motion. If you want the back to be out wide he should shift to the LOS, pause for 1 second, move out wide, pause for another second, and then snap the ball. Again this is only for NCAA and most likely NF and NFL are different.