View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 01, 2015, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Play from Michigan several years ago 1-0 game, top 7th, regional final. R1 at first. Pop fly right on top of first base. f3 goes just behind the base and attempts to catch the ball reach over R1 who is standing on the base. The ball deflects off F3's glove into foul territory. Plate Umpire rules R1 out for "defensive obstruction" (per the coaches comments in a postgame interview).
If the umpire used that term, probably shouldn't have been on a softball field. Sounds like something you would hear from baseball.

Quote:

I have heard difference versions of the play and the lone video is not conclusive as to any additional action.

What I have heard is that the runner was actually leaning back into the fielder trying to make the catch. In that case the interference call would be correct. I have also heard she was just standing on the base when the ball hit the glove and bounded to foul territory.

Opinions? My only concern is that the PU made the call on the play, when if the alleged action of the runner leaning back into the fielder did occur, he should have the worst view of the two umpires.
If the INT was intentional, the call was correct, but I agree, if the runner's action was as described, it seems the BU would have a better angle, but that does not prevent the PU from making such a call.

From NCAA 2016-2017 Softball Rules:

12.19.2.1.4.1 When the defensive player, while watching the flight
of a ball, bumps a base runner who is standing on a base and fails
to make a catch on a catchable ball, the base runner shall not be
called out unless the hindrance is intentional. A base runner must
vacate any space needed by a fielder to make a play on a batted
ball, unless the base runner has contact with a legally occupied
base when the hindrance occurs. This is an exception to the rule
that defensive players must be given the opportunity to field the
ball anywhere on the playing field without being hindered.