View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 31, 2015, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We're playing 18 in Wisconsin.
Interesting that in MN and now WI, the choice has been made to disregard the NFHS and change to 18-min halves, yet in MI a formal request was made to play the game in 18-min halves and it was denied by the NFHS. I wonder why some states opt to ask permission and others act unilaterally?

As I understand it, the choice to act contrary to the NFHS comes at the cost of not being allowed to have a representative seat from your section on the rules committee. Guess what? Section 4 is currently represented by MI's Nate Hampton until 2018, so perhaps they didn't act unilaterally lest he would have lost his seat? Anyway, the price is small. The average section has six states. With four-year terms on the committee, that means a state has a vote (on average) 4 out of every 24 years. To put it another way, for 20 out of every 24 years states have nothing to lose by experimenting. Many have done so with the shot clock, and now apparently some are with halves and 36-min vice 32-min games.

I agree with the general feeling in this forum that this is all much ado about nothing. If anything, it just gives a few more individual statistical records a chance to be broken (more minutes = more stats).