View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 30, 2015, 09:22am
In Time Out

OK I get it now. It took a while! Edit- No I don't. The basket interference call is overturned(the wizard player hitting the rim) No basket for the Magic. The replay center rules that the Orlando player hits the ball, like a micro second before the Wizard players hits the rim. They say no offensive goaltending because the ball is going out but that is confusing to me because clearly the ball is still going to bounce on the rim, and if there is no offensive goaltending, then how does that negate the Wizard player hitting the rim? Does the NBA have a rule that says a defensive player can hit the rim, like the backboard slap, if it is part of the normal defensive/rebounding flow? Think about it. If the Magic player, Vucevic, does a tap and the ball is going to go in. According to the ruling, the replay center is saying that no offensive GT occurred so had Vucevic scored the basket it would have counted. But say on the tap, the ball was going to go in and the Wizard player hits the rim. Then shouldn't the basket count? The play should go to when the whistle should have occurred, which is the play in question. Not when oladipo is about to get the ball. So by that logic, if no offensive goaltending occurred, isn't there basket interference by the Wizards player or are they just ignoring that or maybe it is different for the NBA??

I just found this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ9dO-gqHP4

"Following Wall’s go-ahead floater with 12.7 seconds to play, Orlando (0-1) had another nightmarish scenario unfold when Harris’ potential winning layup hung on the rim for what felt like an eternity, but it ultimately fell off following a flurry of activity in the lane.

Washington’s Marcin Gortat tried blocking Harris’ shot and instead smacked high right hand on the backboard, causing the rim to shake. Referees didn’t whistle Gortat for goaltending, but they did stop the action for a goaltending call when Orlando’s Nikola Vucevic and an unidentified Washington player tried tipping the miss in. However, Orlando’s ref-assisted basket that briefly gave it the lead was wiped off when replays showed no goaltending had occurred when the ball rolled outside of the rim’s cylinder.

``As you know this year, several plays are now reviewed and the ruling is made in the replay center,’’ referee Jason Phillips told a pool reporter. ``This (goal-tending) is one of those plays. So, they made the ruling and said that it was a legal touch.’’
Postgame Report: Magic vs. Wizards (10/28/15) | Orlando Magic

Last edited by mutantducky; Fri Oct 30, 2015 at 09:52am.