Thread: The right calls
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 28, 2015, 10:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
As someone who has been an R for a long time, no chance I'm doing this.

If someone doesn't want 15 more yards, they can get my attention. Doing this on every play is a time-waster.
I was a Referee for a long time, moved to Back Judge and now a Referee again. You do what works for you. I just have seen many times Referees assuming something and then having to come back and do something else other than what is "obvious."

I also did not say doing it on every play and I said that I do this while we are figuring out the enforcement. On my crew, we have some checks and balances to make sure we are going from the proper spot or that we have the right enforcement and what the result of the play was too. I want to make sure we all know the enforcement and while that is going on I walk by the captain or coach and say, "You are going to want this tacked on right?" They say usually yes and I give my final signal and we move on. Never had anyone complain about this procedure.

One time we thought ti was obvious as you suggest it is, we had a coach say, "I do not want to accept that penalty" and it took us several minutes to get it right. Never want that to happen again. And honestly I am not doing this because of what others do, because of what has happened to our crew and what I feel comfortable about. I really do not care if it takes a few extra seconds. I am not going anywhere.

Peace