View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 27, 2015, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

1. Was there a 2-10 error(one of the a-e)?
2. Was the clock running or stopped at the time of the error? very important. most errors made when clock stopped--official fails to give Ft or gives one to wrong player…or gives one when shouldn't.

3. If the clock was STOPPED when the error occurred it must be recognized DURING the first dead ball AFTER the clock has STARTED. (clock starts--then during first dead ball).

I think Billy and I discussed this last year. The diagram he posted is wrong when it says all errors must be corrected before the second live ball. If you send the wrong player to the line for 3 FTs the ball will become live 3 times. The error can still be corrected because the clock is stopped. The clock must start--then you look for first dead ball. must be recognized during that dead ball period.

4. If the clock was running at the time of the error and ball dead (made basket and you give a 3 point signal when player was clearly on the line) it must be recognized before the second live ball. When the ball is inbounded that is the first live ball. The error has to be discovered the next time ball is dead. If it becomes live again (2) it is too late.

I agree with Bob, the moral of the story is don't have correctable errors. Sometimes they can't be avoided because you may have a table that isn't good at keeping track of fouls etc. If the situation comes up think of the rules in 2-10 and replay what has happened in your head. You need to have good grasp of live ball and dead ball also. good luck.