View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 27, 2015, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post
My experience when I was involved was that the same people running the league were the same guys yelling at us. And when their kids were no longer playing, it was the next kids dad running the league.

It's hard to get "a forum to talk with the coaches," when the coaches are different every year, and the league leadership is different every couple of years.
That's the problem we ran into here when I helped our league try to fold that in. We actually worked and/or went to some scrimmages and practices to address new rules or revisions, and to assist the new coaches on rules that otherwise knew little, but when you have assembly line turnover that seems to be commonplace at about 80%+ of the programs, you end up with coaches that are teaching their QB to throw the ball away when he gets out of the pocket to avoid a sack instead of browsing thru a rule book. What gets lost at the lower levels is teaching the kids the game. Period.

Win vs. Loss column should be a moot point at 5th/6th/7th grade level. I discussed this here on another thread about 2-3 weeks ago where the 5th grade offense for a team here in my neck of the woods has essentially 45 different plays on offense. Again...no, that's not a typo. It's ridiculousness. Probably 3 kids on the offense get it, and the rest are lost and they can't figure out why they struggled offensively.

Last edited by Canned Heat; Tue Oct 27, 2015 at 10:23am.