Thread: Hey Chuck...
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
First game we were observed by J.B. Caldwell (SEC guy).
Now, I'm not bitter about that . . . . .

Quote:
(As you can guess, since he commented on my jump ball administration, I was the R in question!)

Well, not anymore under NCAA rules. (I liked R required to toss - it made it easier for me as scorekeeper to know who the R was.) During his camp, J.B. wouldn't stop telling us about how stupid he thought that requirement was . . .

Quote:

We had an interesting situation at the end of the half. Shot, foul, buzzer ending the period clearly after the whistle. We cleared the lane, shot 2 FTs and ended the half. J.B. asked if we even considered putting time back on the clock. Partner 1 says "no". Partner 2 says something about the clock stopping in the last two minutes of the half. I say, "No, b/c we have a second of lag time. So since the horn was less than a second after the whistle, we don't put any time back on." J.B. disagreed. He said you need to get together and decide how much time was left at the time of the whistle.

I had the same situation happen during one of my camp games - whistle followed by immediate horn. We shot the FT's, ended the quarter, and our evaluator said we should "never" end the quarter/half with free throws - always put either 0.2 or 0.4 on the clock.

By college rules, he's right - no lag time. First, from a January 2000 women's bulletin:
Quote:
Putting time back on the clock at end of game when horn goes off after official's whistle. The clock is running down and an official blows the whistle for a foul. Immediately after the whistle, the horn blows to end the game. The timer did not stop the clock on the whistle; therefore, there must be time left in the game. If the clock does not show tenths of a second, the official must put one second on the clock. If tenths of a second show on the clock, then the official would put three-tenths of a second. Obviously if the time between the whistle and the horn is not immediate, more tenths would be put back on.
This seems to be backed up by 5-9-1 - the game clock shall be stopped when an official [whistles].

AR 3 provides for going to the monitor, but describes a situation where there is a foul, whistle, and then the horn sounds - it does not, however, state to automatically put time back on the clock.

Any thoughts on this?