View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 12, 2015, 02:06pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Initial receiver keys are the same in both 7- and 8- person mechanics.

Backs in the tackle box are ignored for purposes of determining initial keys.

Assuming nobody in motion:
F and S have the widest receiver on their side of the formation.

L and H have the second receiver (counting from the sideline towards the ball).

B has the 3rd receiver on the trips side. If there are two receivers on each side, B takes the 2nd receiver on L's side, and L shifts to the running back. If the 3rd receiver is a TE, B will initially key on the TE, but will switch to the 2nd receiver if the TE doesn't release down-field immediately at the snap (and H or L, depending on which side the TE's on, will switch from 2nd receiver to the TE).

If 4 receivers line up on one side, B takes 3rd and 4th receivers.

If a receiver is in motion, H and L are responsible for the motion man on their side of the ball, no matter where he is on the field relative to other receivers, and F/S/B switch their keys accordingly.

There's a couple wrinkles that I won't get into here... what I said above covers about 90% of situations.
Phew. Complex! And I remember when we went from 4-man to 5-man, and keys were a new concept. Seems like going from 5-man to 7-man would be quite a shift.

And I'm unsure what you mean in the motion case. You say H/L are "responsible for the motion made on their side of the ball." Can this change? So in the play posted, the motion man starts on the LJ side and goes to the H side. Does LJ have him the whole time? Or does he pass it to H when H gets to his side?

Thanks for the details. Perhaps technical and boring to some, but I find it very interesting and greatly appreciate your detailed response.