View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 08, 2015, 09:27pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Wow!
That would be a HUGE change. It would no longer be a violation for a missed FT to fail to contact the ring. The thrower could fire the ball of the backboard and go after the long rebound.
NevadarRef:

I am inclined to agree with you. Read my response to the OP.

MTD, Sr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Last Year: "After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower...he/she shall throw within 10 seconds to cause the ball to enter the basket or touch the ring before the free throw ends."

This Year: "After the ball is placed at the disposal of a free thrower...he/she shall throw within 10 seconds to cause the ball to enter the basket or touch the ring or backboard before the free throw ends."

Significance?
Freddy:

If I were a betting man I would bet that this is a typo. I think it is a typo based upon past rules changes for two reasons:

1) When a rules change has been made (NFHS and NCAA), no matter whether or not there are Editorial Comments regarding the rules change, the rules change is high lighted in the Rules Book. The words that you highlighted in red are not shaded in the Rules Book. That cannot be always said about Casebook Plays; I can reference a NCAA Casebook Play from the 1993-94 season, but that is a story for another time.

2) The change that you found in the 2015-16 NFHS Basketball Rules Book was not made in the 2015-16 and 2016-17 NCAA Men's and Women's Basketball Rules Book. And I would find it difficult to believe that the three Rules Committees would not have had some sort of discussion about this change in the rules, no matter which Rules Committee(s) was thinking of making the change.

My best guess is that someone, who is lacking in knowledge of the rules of basketball, was tasked with proof reading the rules before it went to print and said person thought that those two words were "incorrectly deleted" and decided to "reinsert" them.

MTD, Sr.

P.S: I will email Peter Webb (Immediate Past Chairman of the NFHS Basketball Rules Committee and current Member of the Committee from Section 1, Dan Ross (Commissioner of the OhioHSAA and Member of the NFHS Basketball Rules Committee from NFHS Section 2), and Denny Morris (OhioHSAA State Basketball Rules Interpreter and Director of Basketball Officials) first thing tomorrow morning. Now back to flipping back and forth between the baseball game and the football game.

P.P.S.: I just checked: a) The NHFS website and the 2015-16 Baskektball Rules Interpretations have not yet been published; and b) The 2015-16 NFHS Basketball Rules Casebook and there are no plays addressing the "rules change".
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Fri Oct 09, 2015 at 11:24am. Reason: Added P.P.S.