View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 20, 2015, 05:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Because, maybe, the NFHS wants to go back to the rule as it "used to be", as evidenced by this recent Point of Emphasis.
Well then adopt that rule. It is not that hard.

Quote:
Agree 100%. This certainly puts officials, especially clinicians (like, I believe, JRutledge), trainers, and interpreters, "between a rock, and a hard place". Follow the Point of Emphasis, and contradict the rule; or follow the rule, and contradict the Point of Emphasis.
It does not put me in any rock and and a hard place. The rules are clear, this is not a violation.

Quote:
So, you're unilaterally not going to emphasize a NFHS Point Of Emphasis? Don't you believe that the NFHS is emphasizing something because they want it emphasized by officials?
What rule is violated? There is your answer. I am not going to do anything but do what the rules says. I do not have POE sessions in games.

Quote:
According to Merriam Webster, emphasize means to give special attention, or importance, to something; so it seems apparent that the NFHS wants us to enforce the following:
Glad you know the Webster definition. But irrelevant to this discussion.

Quote:
"On release of the ball by the free thrower, the defender boxing out shall not cross the free-throw line extended into the semicircle until the ball contacts the ring or backboard."

Do you believe that the NFHS wants us to ignore something that they clearly want emphasized?
I do not care what the NF does. I do not work for the NF. The NF has never given me a single game. They NF did not assign me to any post season or allow me to work any State Finals. I do not care what the NF intended. If they want people to do what they suggest, have a rule that supports their position.

Now if the IHSA wants to come out and give a statement or suggest we should enforce a rule that does not exist, then they better do better than the NF is doing in this case.

Quote:
Unilaterally ignoring the Point of Emphasis is not the answer. Seeking guidance from the NFHS, probably through one's state high school organization, or one's state officials organization, is the right way to approach this.
Not the answer for what? The NF has not changed their rules to reflect any such penalty or why it is illegal. It does not fall under any punishment that we have at our disposal. I do not see anything wrong with not enforcing something that is not a rule. They clearly made and editorial mistake and I will recognized it as such until further notice. Not the first time and certainly will not be the last.

Quote:
As an IAABO member, in a 100% IAABO state, I already know what we'll be doing since we "jumped the gun" last year, and by "jumping the gun", I mean that we were wrong to do so. Now, we have, at least, some backing from the NFHS, a Point of Emphasis without, unfortunately, a rule backing.
Well good for you. I do not live in an IAABO state. I do not care what you guys or any one else in the country does. We will have rules meetings in our state and this will and can be addressed.

Quote:
Who knows (other than the NFHS)? In the end, JRutledge may come out on the right side of this debate. He has several good points (no pun intended), no written rule, no written penalty, no written casebook play interpretation, a Point of Emphasis that will "disappear" from the rulebook the following year, in his favor, but, somehow, I doubt that he'll come out on the side intended by the NFHS, otherwise, why would they publish a Point of Emphasis regarding this situation? On the other hand, I wouldn't bet my house on JRutledge being wrong here, maybe a hundred bucks, but not my house.
This is not about being right. This is about majoring in the minors. This is not something that most officials are even going to notice first of all. Most officials I am sure have no idea that the NF had the rule that even required this at some point and certainly do not see it at other levels. Even someone like myself just thought they were adopting the rules of the NCAA and NBA in this area.

All of this could be solved by changing a rule in midstream and saying "We made a mistake" or "We included a POE that did not fit the rules." Problem solved.

Peace