View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 20, 2015, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
In the 2014-15 Rule Interpretations found on the NFHS website and here on the forum, it says to delete Rule 9-1-4, page 55. Apparently, it was mistakenly left in the rule book when the free throw rule was changed back to the release.
9-1-3c-"No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower"was lumped in with 9-1-4 (the restictions in 9-1-3b through g apply until ball touches ring.....) in the old books. I dont think by removing 9-1-4 from the book they are making a change to disconcertion.--Before disconcertion meant until ball hits ring and now it means release--- I think they likely just realized it isnt necessary to say anything more than what 9-1-3c already says. You cant disconcert the free throw shooter. To me that means you cant do anything to cause him to miss the shot or to violate. FT shooter can violate until ball hits rim.

If the FT is in the air, then the defense steps over FT line and somehow that CAUSES the FT shooter to step on the line before ball hits rim...i think you can call that disconcertion. I dont think simply stepping over the line equals disconcertion but 9-1-3c is the closest support for it. I'd like for them to simply add the wording to the rule.