View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 15, 2015, 02:58pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
And if he's not "ignored" by the wing, that probably doesn't even have to happen.

One can run this game quoting a lot of rules and being really rigid in their stance, but 9 times out of 10, that stance isn't going to win you a lot of brownie points with the PTB's at a later time. As a wing official, it really isn't your job to determine if his complaint is legitimate. If he wants a conference, he is entitled by rule to request it. You can try to help out your WH and filter out the BS but if coach is dead-set on talking to the R, have at it.

"Coach, would you like a referee conference?" is all that it would have taken. Most wings should be able do that and not take their eyes off the field. If he says "no", then you can move on in to the ignoring phase.

I've been a white hat for almost 15 years now. Coaches don't have carte blanche to summon me to the sidelines unless they request a coach-referee conference for the purpose of challenging a rule error.

My wings know that.

If I choose to go to the sidelines for whatever reason, that's up to me. I've gone to let coaches vent. I've gone to provide an explanation I thought I was best positioned to give. But those scenarios were my call, not his demand...