View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 11, 2015, 04:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Cheaters Never Prosper ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Player-speak, and coach-speak, for, "You're cheating", which cannot be ignored. This must always be addressed with either a warning, or a technical foul, depending on the circumstances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Really? For thin skinned people, maybe. That's not even going to get on my radar...just white noise.
Absolutely not an automatic technical foul, but I won't ignore it. If I'm not calling it both ways, then I must be only calling only one way, for only one team, and that's paramount to calling me a cheater, and I don't like being called a cheater, even in a passing remark.

Usually when questioned about this a coach will come back with, "Well I only wanted to point out that the last three close calls went their way, I'm not calling you a cheater, just venting a little".

To which I reply, "I'm calling them as I see them. Please vent in some other manner".

And that usually takes care of the issue. Of course my thirty-four years of experience, the fact that I've been around the block several times, the fact that the coach knows that that game is not my first rodeo, and that I have a headful of gray hair, often helps me win my point.

Most coaches don't really understand the ramifications of, "Call it both ways". Once they realize how this statement can be perceived, or misinterpreted, by an official, they will usually back off.

Rarely, a coach will really mean, "You're cheating my team", and those rare situations can be dealt with with a cup of tea.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 11, 2015 at 06:41pm.