View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 11, 2015, 08:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Way back in 1995 I was living in Tennessee, where we were forced to work preseason jamborees (scrimmages) for free.

(BTW, this is an evil practice. Here schools hire scrimmage officials and pay us the same they pay us for games.)

So I show up, I start working, and one of the coaches is already in late-season form, bitching and complaining on every call. Finally I told him I had enough. He told me that he's going to do what he wants and there's nothing I can do about it.

So I walked over to the table and started changing my shoes. Coach said, "where are you going?" I told him there was one thing I can do -- I'm leaving.

Partner came over and begged me to stay. I told him he should be leaving, too, but if he wants to stay and work alone, have at it. Didn't like the guy and he thought he'd make me look bad and earn Brownie points for staying, so he did.

Our supervisor opened up the next meeting with a 10 minute rant -- it included praise for what I did, ripping the other guy for staying, and explicit instructions that if anything like this ever happened again that officials are to "put the ball on the table and go to the house."