Old Mon Jul 28, 2003, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by PGCougar
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
... Just entering the basket and rising above the rim, but not clearing the net is not enough, since the net is part of the basket.
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
... just like Nevada said.The bottom of the ball must clear the top of the ring. If not,play on.
Sorry to nit-pick, but assuming the net is pulled upward as the ball goes through, is the violation called after the ball clears the top of the ring, or the net, assuming net goes up higher???
I think that is physically impossible.If the net gets flipped up,it will stop the ball from going higher.Use the top of the ring and the bottom of the ball.
PGCougar,
What JR wrote above is exactly why I posted my clarification. I do NOT agree with him. I say the ball has to clear the net too, otherwise the call is improper. The important rules are:
9-4 A player shall not travel with the ball, intentionally kick it, strike it with the fist or cause it to enter and pass through the basket from below.
1-10-1 ...Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches in inside diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord 12-mesh net, 15 to 18 inches in length, suspended from beneath the ring.
I may be the one who is nit-picking here, but according to the wording of those rules the ball must pass through the entire basket, which includes the net, before it is a violation.
Since we all agree that the net is part of the basket, and rule 9-4 says it is only a violation if the player causes the ball to "pass through the basket", not the just the ring, from below, the ball must clear the net as well as the ring before the official should call a violation.