View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 29, 2000, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Hold on a minute!

Dave wrote above:

2. Most umpires are trained to, and learn by experience to subscribe to the "path of least resistance," "go along to get along," and "don't go looking for boogers" schools of thought... technically ejectable but reasonably minor offenses go unpunished (or result in only warnings instead of ejection), strikezones and things like neighborhood plays are called according to the customs and practices that have been developed in the league, instead of "by the book," and potentially controversial calls such as obstruction and interference are only called if they are flagrantly obvious.

I don't agree with that at all. Why would anyone train an umpire to take the "path of least resistance"? Now, I'm sure that it IS being done all over the country, and maybe I've just been lucky enough to be in associations in two states that took the "high road."

Now I know there are times that you may let something slide, but usually it will be in a blowout game or something like a Summer Game that you really weren't prepared to call etc.; however, we train all of our officials to call what you see.

I cannot imagine why Bfair would even think about "not calling a balk that you know is a balk". Who cares who you are calling with. You said you were all respected FED officials, then you all have the same right on the field to call the play you see. In restrospect you said you learned, but are you calling what you know is right now, or letting things slide as you say you see other guys doing?

If your past officers want to let things go, then let them, but believe me people do notice. I know when I played ball (many years ago) I knew which umpires were ethical and which were not by the way they called.

The only way to be a good umpire is to be consistent, and if you are constantly trying to decide what "not to call" then it's going to be a long road.

I know in our area, if you don't call it right, then you won't be calling. (Now that's FED). In summer ball you see all kinds, but then in summer ball most of the umpires don't care anyway. It's really sad.

I've always called it like it should be "by the book" and I've never had any problems moving up in any level or group I've worked.

Just what I see,

Thanks
David