View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 31, 2015, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Just as a follow up to the team that lost the game on the OP triple play...

This is a company intramural modified league and their playoffs are basically a double-elimination format tournament.

That team scored 8 runs in the first inning and 9 runs in the bottom of the 6th inning. In the top of the 7th, they led the game 17-10. They then proceeded to give up 15 runs in all manner of ways. In the bottom of the 7th, they managed to plate 2 or 3 runs.

I was PU and the guy who called the IF late from the OP was on the bases. Since there is no stealing or bunting, we work these games as slow pitch mechanics.

With 2 outs and runners on first and second the batter hit a short blooper over the third baseman and shortstop. The third baseman realized he wasn't going to catch it, so retreated to cover third base. Shortstop fielded the ball on one hop going towards left field, turned and threw to third baseman who was still running. He caught the ball over the shoulder like a football player a few feet from the base and sort of parallel with the foul line. It appeared to me that he then stepped over the bag a split second before the runner from second slid into the base. Third baseman claimed that he had dragged his foot across the base. Before the coach even asked I called time to check with my partner who had started in "B" and had moved into the infield. He confirmed that the player had indeed contacted the base prior to the runner sliding in. So I reversed the call for the game ending out which also bounced this team from the playoffs.

Most players said nothing as the teams lined up for post game handshakes but a couple of younger hotheads had some comments for my partner about "how to hold a grudge" or "taking the game away from them".

These guys just choked away a sure win by playing afraid to lose. It was the most pathetic display of protecting a lead that I've seen in 40 years of softball.

And it was all the umpire's fault.

A couple of players from the first game of the night had stayed around to watch this game because they were going to play the winners. As we walked back to the parking lot they told us we got it right. They had been sitting in the bleachers right across from third base. The only other guy who might have had a better view was the third base coach. I don't think he was one of the guys yelling at us.