View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 27, 2003, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

You have 2 issues here......
First is attempting to address a dress code.
The other is the player's conduct.

As for the dress code, eliminating the shirt hanging out at the plate is preventative officiating. A pitched ball may hit that shirt where it otherwise may not have if it was tucked in. Addressing the issue eliminates the problem. While this may seem nitpickin' to some, it's not to others. I don't allow players to wear their hats backwards during the game. I'd address it if they wore their shirts or pants backwards, so why not address it if they wear their hats backwards? Their jocks are up to them--I don't ask about those............

The other issue, however, is the remark to "Show me the rule" when addressing something as simplistic as maintaining a dress code. That player is starting a battle he is unlikely to win relative to conduct within the game. That response is different than a question of "Is there a rule?". While both responses deserve an answer, little time needs to be spent on this issue. The question and answer are as simplistic as the request and response should have been. I don't expect to spend any significant time or effort arguing with a player or coach who cannot understand this request and need, and who wish to put up a barrier against something as simplistic as tucking in a shirt. They will be told that players at the plate need it tucked in to avoid being hit, and if they can't handle that they won't be at the plate. I'll do what's necessary to assure that, as they'll soon learn if they wish to maintain the barrier.

Freix