View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 30, 2015, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Close play at Net? Backrow Setter vs Blocker

I have been involved with Girls Volleyball for over 40 years and I think the Offense is put at a disadvantge on balls in the Netural (plane) during play. An over pass from a teammate toward the net enters the plane and the backrow setter goes up to try and set the ball to a teammate if the blocker touches the ball my setter is called for backrow blocking?? First my setter is not facing the opponents court but facing her hitter and if the blocker does not touch the ball there is no foul called, which is the correct no-call. The fact that the blocker simply contacts the ball,that is still in the plane, backrow blocking is called on the setter?? Several things may me think the ball should remain in play till it either crosses the net completly, which backrow attack on my setter should be called! If the ball returns to my court play should continue!! Another point, like I said I have been invloved with High School volleyball for years as both an official and coach, in the USA rule book and somewhere in the High School rule book a "block" is defined as "a play at or near the net on a ball coming from the opponents count in an attempt to return the ball to the opponents court", may not be exact wording but you should get the meaning! I would like to hear from others that think this is not a fair rule because it puts the defense at an advantage.