View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 03:13pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Frankly the NCAAM "stop" mechanic is really only necessary because they then have to turn around and go opposite.
But at the HS level, and particularly at the sub-varsity level, you get scorers who aren't well-trained and might not be paying as close attention as you'd like. So it's important to get into the reporting area and stop to make sure that the scorer actually receives the information that you're trying to communicate.

Quote:
Which is a silly and time-wasting concept in and of itself just meant to avoid confrontations with coaches
I don't think this is true. You probably remember that the NCAAM mechanic used to be for the reporting official to stay tableside. When it changed back to going opposite, the rationale we were given was that officials were over-indulging the coaches in conversation, sometimes seeking out the coach to talk about the play. They wanted to cut down on conversation, or so we were told.

Quote:
My point? Stopping to report is silly and useless.
In college, I most agree (although at some Juco's and low-level D3's you're still better off stopping and being really obvious). But in HS, I disagree completely.