Thread: The Main Thing?
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 09:53am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

What's not done very well here locally is training, continuous improvement, of high school officials.

So, to me, training needs to be the thing that is prioritized.

In a utopian world, these would be perfect statements. In reality, at least where I work, they are just worthless sentiments. There are more games than there are competent officials, especially on Friday nights. A good percentage of officials care about getting better and doing things the right way. Unfortunately, there is also a high percentage of officials that do not care and will not get better no matter how much training is available to them, but they will still get games because there isn't another competent official to take their place. Assignors and associations are stuck with these guys and they know it. Conferences and leagues can switch assignors if they like. They might see some new guys or a different mix of guys, but it is inevitable they are going to still get guys that don't belong on a game. Making training a priority is a fruitless endeavor. It takes a lot of work by a select few, with very little tangible benefit for the group as a whole. In fact, the whole idea of having associations seems pointless. In my experience, I get more out of the interactions I have with the select group of officials, that have goals and aspirations similar to mine, than I ever have participating in any of the associations I have belonged to.