Thread: FitBit
View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 26, 2015, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
Four games averaged about 2.1 miles per game. I did in fact adjust the stride length to 2'9" based on the method FitBit reccommends to calculate stride length. While I was there, I noted that I have the FitBit Zip, the smallest device they make.
Like I implied before, it is unlikely you actually traveled 2.1 miles per game if you followed their stride setting method. It is designed for someone who is jogging/running and is taking a consistent stride throughout.

A referee does jog/run but also takes several smaller steps as well and they are all counted as full strides. So, if you set it for your jogging/running stride, it would overestimate the distance while refereeing....unless you jog from L-to-T/T-to-L and don't move once you're there. Such distance calculations are really only close when the stride is consistent.

It is very difficult to get an accurate average stride length for a referee to be used with what is essentially a fancy pedometer. That number could change substantially with each game....lots of fast breaks vs. a lot of half-court action. You can really only know the number of steps to any degree of accuracy.