View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake26 View Post
To make sure I understand, allow me a scenario. A throw reaches the catcher, who is blocking home plate, just before the runner. However, the throw is bobbled by the catcher. Then the runner slides into the catcher but does not reach home plate because her path is blocked. The catcher then establishes control of the ball and tags the runner.

Under ASA and NFHS, we have Obstruction on the catcher, and the runner is awarded home plate. I am understanding you to say that under NCAA Rules, the runner would be Out. Is this correct?

I'm certainly open to a scenario of your own that would make the effect of the difference in the Rules Sets better evident.
Your play is sufficient.

Under NCAA rules, it would require a second and separate act of blocking the runner AFTER the throw is bobbled to call obstruction on that catcher, if she were only blocked and all momentum stopped, because the initial block was legal under the "about to receive" clause. If the runner makes any effort to advance after that initial block and is blocked again before possession, then you would have obstruction.

Or, if the catcher lays on hers and pins her while retrieving the ball (wasn't there a similar postseason MLB play by Red Sox F5 a few years back??), that would also be obstruction.