View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 25, 2015, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

I'm reffing a summer leagues games now and don't mind it all.
On Thursdays I do a 4 game set of youth (fairly competitive skill level) rising 6th and 7th graders. Pays $20 per game.
Then on Sundays I do a 4 game set of adult wreck league games--actually two of these teams are co-ed both comprised of 3 women players of the 7 players on the teams. Pays $22 per game.
All games are 20 min. running clock, 1 t/o per half.

My partners are experienced refs--some whom I've worked with in the past, sometimes new refs.

We use normal NF mechanics---before games we speak briefly and tell each other/agree that "hey let's not let out mechanics erode in these games".

Because there is no "head coach" per se in the "adult league" games, we often must interact directly with players who question our calls--and hey this is out of respect because they are adults also. We are in the 3rd week and have given out 3 or 4 whacks but in the first 2 weeks. Actually one of the female players cursed at a travelling call--ostensibly an experience player she was--but she did shuffle those feet. Me and partner laughed over her cursing at us after the game though, he asked me "man could you believe she cursed at me dude?!" Humerous. You've got to just show those players who the boss is.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Thu Jun 25, 2015 at 02:27pm.